Latinas Public Service Academy. Free Public Policy program for 11th & 12th grade Latinas
This is the Latinas Public Service Academy and it is for 11th and 12th grade Latinas who are interested in learning more about Policy and how it works in the real world. This is a free program, though there are certain outreach areas such as South LA, Boyle Heights/East LA, Pico-Union/Westlake, Northeast San Fernando Valley, LAUSD regular public schools and charter schools. Please see below for more information.
The location of the Academy is:
Mercado La Paloma Community Room
3655 South Grand Ave., LA, CA 90007
2017 Latinas Program Application
Click here to open application. Please do NOT post it on social media. They have target areas (per below) and the best strategy is to recruit directly from those areas versus casting a wide net on social media where we get applications from all over the country.
- Enrolled in 11th or 12th grade this year
- Preference is given to students who are low-income and reside in the communities of: South LA, Boyle Heights/East LA, Pico-Union/Westlake, Northeast San Fernando Valley, LAUSD regular public schools and charter schools.
- At least one parent is of Latino/Hispanic heritage
- At least a 2.0 GPA. (Exceptions can be made for promising candidates)
- Submit a complete application via email, per the instructions, by March 24, 2017 at 11:59 pm PST
Please consider the following mandatory program dates when applying
- Saturday, April 8, 9-6 p.m. Workshop
- Tuesday, April 18, 9-4 p.m. Field Trip (permission form will be provided)
- Saturday, April 22, 9-6 p.m. Workshop
Participants can expect a comprehensive experience that will include the following
- Government and public policy training
- Fundraising experience
- Career and skill training sessions
- Special visits to different municipal government chambers to see public officials in action
- Lifelong friends!
- Written Application sent via email per the instructions
- Unofficial Transcript
- 1 photo of yourself (email or attach)
- Budget Day
- Planning & Land Use Committee Seeking new members
- The Boyle Heights Neighborhood Council is currently seeking six (6) community members to become part of its Planning & Land Use Committee.
- Free Used Tire Recycling Collection Event
- Mariachi Plaza and Cesar Chavez/Fickett Joint Development RFPs Released Today
Metro Joint Development
- Latinas Public Service Academy. Free Public Policy program for 11th & 12th grade Latinas
- Purple Line Extension Could Help Connect Boyle Heights
- Neighborhood Councils Prove Most Successful in the Clean Streets L.A. Challenge!